Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Facebook Purge: Day 2

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

I've begun searching for additional perspectives on quitting facebook. Here we learn about "Facebook Suicide" and the author's reasons for undertaking it. I quite agree with most of her analysis, although the cynic in me wonders if we've always secretly been narcissistic, and that FB hasn't just given us a convenient and public outlet.

I'm still working on establishing a convenient way of doing all that Facebook does without actually using it. If nothing else, Facebook is an easily accessed, centralized clearinghouse of all the information I see fit to share, and a place where I can find interesting stuff, too. Ideally, I will be able to link a newsfeed (Twitter) to some wall-posts (Blogger) to a collection of photo albums (Picasa) to an OpenID profile (Google and Gmail) to the website that I will soon create. All that's left is a way to get a digest of interesting articles my friends dig up. My friends are always posting news stories about politics and languages on FB, and I enjoy seeing those.

In other news, my car is in the shop getting a new timing belt. How do people usually manage day-long car repairs? Was someone supposed to come get me, or was I supposed to sit in the office all day? I took the bus part-way home and then had to walk mile, because the bus system here does not take transfers and I didn't have $6.00 for a day pass. A one way fare is $2.50 and you don't get a transfer?! This repair sets me back $600, but it's better than letting my timing belt snap, and I certainly was due for it. There goes half my tax refund! Good thing I got one!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment